Sunday, August 18, 2013

Life Etc




Bob: The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born.

Charlotte: Nobody ever tells you that.

Bob: Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life.

Charlotte: That's nice.

That’s what Bill Murray said in Lost in Translation. He was right about it all, especially the delightful part.  

**

While I do (generally speaking) hate facebook, and by “hate” I mean no one cares what you cooked for dinner and decided to photograph before eating, I do miss sharing pictures and stories about Connor growing up. The first year of his life passed by in the blink of an eye—thank goodness I blogged each day with memories and pictures. I’m so thankful for that little project.

Over the last six months or so I’ve tried just focusing on the moment, which translates into taking less pictures, not blogging, not facebooking, etc etc. And while there is certainly merit to not documenting everyday of your family’s life in a public space, the downside is that I’ve forgotten a lot of events. What’s more, with friends and family dotted all over the map, facebook is sort of a necessary evil that has become a lukewarm panacea to the absence of face to face visits.

And while I do endorse the philosophy of living in the moment, doing only one thing at a time, get off your damn cell phone and look around, I want to try and strike the balance. I want the people I love to be able to see the little one that I love the most growing up. Watching Connor grow has truly been the greatest gift and greatest joy of my life. He is delightful. At least when he’s not wreaking havoc (read: crawling on my head every night and deciding that’s a more comfortable place to sleep than the other ten square feet of open real estate mattress).

So here’s to getting back on the horse and sharing what’s going on with life etcetera.

No comments:

Post a Comment