Wednesday, February 20, 2013

31 Years, Day to Day

I put this on facebook earlier. Might as well make it my blog too so that I have it in writing one day when I publish Connor and Co, as an old man, and sit there and read it. :)

Today was my birthday. Today was also a very ordinary day. Today was a wonderful day.
 
 Wonderful and ordinary at the same time? Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I woke up, went to work, saw my co-workers/friends, talked, joked, had coffee. Spent the day helping kids in crisis, kids that are challenging and that I respect in hard to define ways. I came home, saw my wife and baby smiling. Jordan, the girl we babysit got dropped off. I worked out, built some things in the garage, got saw dust everywhere and hammered boards, things I love doing. Becca cooked dinner and we will play with Connor until late at night and then all snuggle together and go to sleep.

Pretty much the same thing I do every day and I absolutely love it. It’s very simple and happens over and over.

I often hear older people talking about how in their 30s and 40s they were raising their kids, were broke, and life was hectic every day. Then they reminisce about how it was the best time of their life. They see that looking back on their lives.

Well I feel very lucky because I feel that I’m seeing what a great time I’m having and what a great life I’m blessed enough to live. I didn’t do much to deserve it, but it’s mine and I love it and appreciate it. I think that after 31 years I’m learning to value everything more: friendships, family, time, health, life.

So that was my birthday today. I also got some great gifts, which are nice, but it’s the relationships and phone calls and just day to day things that make it special.

No comments:

Post a Comment