Sunday, January 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Connor, From Becca


Dear Connor,

You are one month old today. I know for moms and dads who have children who are two months, or two years, or 20 years, one month seems like nothin'. But for me, your mom, who could hold you forever while you're sleeping, listening to your innocent breaths and smelling your sweet skin, one month seems like a lifetime.

It seems like only yesterday I was standing in the kitchen, happy tears flowing, trying with all my might to get the sounds out of my mouth in order to tell your dad that before the year was over, we would become a family of three. By the way, that is also the number of pregnancy tests dad made me take before he finally believed me.

What I've learned over the past month is that no class, book, or person could ever prepare you enough for becoming a mommy or daddy for the first time. It is not possible to understand how tired you will be. How much you will worry. And how much you will delight in the spontaneous facial expressions your newborn makes while they are sleeping. Don't even get me started on those cute sneezes...

So, while I am heartbroken that you are already a month old, and that before I know it you will be as tall, or taller than your dad, I am so excited of all the precious moments we will share in month two.

Love,
Your mom, who is typing this with one hand and holding you close to my heart with the other!

1 comment: