Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Growth and Mircales

This kid is getting big. He seems to be gaining weight steadily and rapidly at this point. But what's really cool is how tall he's getting. Those long fingers and toes make me wonder what shoe size he'll end up with one day.

Last night he weighed about 9 1/2 pounds. Huge! Of course I weighed that AT BIRTH, but still... the kid gets some credit. I wonder if all dads like to hang on to the "I'm bigger and stronger... brought you into this world, take you out of this world" mentality for as long as possible. Of course that's a losing battle! I can't wait until we can start training sports and wrestling and boxing and lifting weights together... It will be fun to watch him grow big and strong until one day he will bench 350 and I'll say, "You know son, one day I could do that..." And of course he won't be all that impressed.

But that's a great thing. The miracle of birth continues through the miracle of growth. Sure he's gonna grow up too fast and I'm gonna blink and he's gonna be six, but each day I get to watch him grow is a blessing.

Last night I was holding his little head in my hands and was awed by the idea that this person started out as a single cell. Ten months later and a few million cells later, there's this miracle of life. When it's all said and done he'll have hundreds of trillions of cells. That's amazing to think about! Life really is the greatest miracle of all.

Let's just hope I can remember all this when he needs a bigger pair of shoes (read: 25 bucks) every three months for the next 12 years!



No comments:

Post a Comment